National Senior Health and Fitness Day
May 29, 2019
National Senior Health and Fitness day goals are to promote the importance of regular physical activity and to showcase what local organizations are doing to improve the health and fitness of older adults in their communities.
Top 10 Reasons for Elders to Exercise:
- Arthritis Management: Regular activity helps joints and can help reduce overall pain and stiffness.
- Heart Disease Management: The more one exercises later in life can help reduce the likeliness to heart diseases. Exercise can help regulate blood pressure and blood glucose levels.
- Type II Diabetes: Exercise can help maintain proper body weight and help regulate blood glucose and insulin levels to make the body more sufficient.
- Cancer: Exercise has been shown to help improve overall cancer risk among a variety of cancer forms.
- Hypertension: Exercise can help lower systolic blood pressure significantly.
- Depression: Exercise can have a beneficial effect on personal mood. Group exercise classes among older adults can help reduce symptoms of depression by 30% or more.
- Dementia: Exercise can help slow mental decline.
- Higher Quality of Life
- Insomnia: Higher levels of activity can help one sleep.
- All-cause Mortality: Exercise is known to reduce death from all causes.