There are so many reasons people have pets. From companionship to compassion. But did you know there are many health benefits pets can help with? Here are some of the top reasons everyone should have a pet, no matter what age you are.
- Pets help lower you blood pressure. From the emotional effects of unconditional love to the encouragement to exercise more
- Reduce pet allergies. Of course, this is not the case for everyone, and you should keep an eye out for reactions any time bringing a new animal into the family
- Therapy and emotional benefits. There is nothing like unconditional love, loyalty, and companionship. The overall happiness these feelings bring why not
- Reduce anxiety and boost mood. Especially in times like the pandemic your furry friend can offer some support in times of stress and loneliness
- Ease Pain. As stated above owning a pet can reduce anxiety. Less anxiety less pain. This is great for a person that deals with chronic pain such as migraines or arthritis
Whether your furry friend is a dog or a cat, having a pet is a huge responsibility and is not for everyone. First, consider whether you're healthy enough and have the financial means to care for a pet. Dogs need to be walked, fed, groomed, and taken to the vet. If you cannot handle the demands of a pet right now, ask to walk a friend's dog a few days a week, or volunteer in an animal shelter.