The winter weather is a common excuse used to stay on your couch and binge watch Netflix shows. However, winter is a really important season to keep up with your active lifestyle.
You may ask, how can I stay active in the frigid temperatures the winter has to offer? Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Join a gym or health club: Indoor gyms can become your best friend in the winter with all they have to offer from indoor swimming pools to indoor tracks and even fitness classes. Be sure to choose a gym that is located close to your home or office so that the drive in winter weather can’t be used as an excuse not to go.
- Ice skating: Not only is ice skating a great calorie burner, but it is also a lot of fun.
- Snow shoeing: snow shoeing is a fun way to get out in the snowy weather and burn some calories. Snow shoes nowadays can be made specifically for runners or for leisurely walks.
- Join an indoor sports league: Check for places around your community that offer indoor basketball, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse leagues, etc.
- Climb stairs: even though the elevator is quite tempting, take the stairs either on your way up to your office, apartment, or dorm room.
- Stay motivated: remind yourself how important it is to stay active year-round, even when it feels hard to do so.
Keep in mind that while the sun may not be able to heat you up in the winter, vitamin D is still important - being outside can help fight off the winter blues. While some foods offer vitamin D, it's not much compared to what you can get from the sun. Also remember that finding a workout buddy and keeping achieveable goals can also help you stay on track during the cold winter months.
Get out there and get moving!